People often ask me when we're out how old Isaac is. I always have to check myself before saying "one year old," and instead now say 13 months. However, even that is incorrect as he's only five days shy of 14 months now!
And boy, do I love having a 14 month old around! He is so much fun, getting into mischief about a million times a day and cute as a button every time he does. So just what does Isaac like to do these days?
He thinks pulling stuff out of the exposed garbage can in the kitchen is fun. Other "yuck" places that look interesting are his diaper garbage, the bathroom garbage and the wood bin by the fireplace. Whenever he goes to touch one of those, I say "yuck", with an emphasis on the "ckkk" sound at the end, tell him "no," and pull him away or slap his hand depending on how many times in a row I've told him. So now, whenever Isaac is headed to one of his dirty destinations, I can hear him going "ckkk, ckkk" as he heads there. He's not too sneaky yet, that little monkey of mine! And I am starting to see how moms can be accused of having eyes in the back of their heads : )
Other trouble spots for Isaac are pulling off his bib at the table (still! Ever since he started eating solids this has been a battle ground.) And yes, we believe in discipline, it's just trying to figure out what will work for Isaac as he seems to forget the bib rule at least 57 times a day.
He likes to open the stove drawer and play with doors, both things that I allowed him to do until I thought through the danger he could get himself into with playing around hot stoves or locking himself in a room or getting his fingers squished under a door (yup, that one has happened). Those are harder to discipline him on as they were once OK and now they're a no-no. Makes me really try to think through new actions of his for whether they'll be safe in the long run for him or not.
Speaking of safety, Isaac is figuring out how to open drawers now. We have many drawers in the basement suite and he's slammed his fingers in a few of them already. Poor guy : ( Luckily, cuddles from Mommy usually make him feel better.
Isaac is still calling me 'Mama', more often 'Mamamamama', and sometimes just 'Mom', which is pretty funny to us. He is failing miserably in the Daddy department though. Justin has been 'Baba' occasionally, 'Mama' often and quite often just smiles and laughs at Justin when he practices 'Daddy' with him. Lots of stuff Daddy does with Isaac is for giggles, so maybe he thinks this is a game too! And unfortunatley when I try to practice saying Dada with Isaac, he starts to look for Justin. One day I said something about Daddy coming home and Isaac crawled from the kitchen to the living room, thinking Justin must be hiding in there. It makes me sad to have him looking for his daddy when he won't be home for hours.
But when Justin does get home, it's the best part of all our days. Isaac gets super excited, crawls faster than you can say Baba and grabs onto Justin's leg. So sweet. And it allows me to get dinner finished up while my favourite guys spend some time together catching up on their days : )
Speaking of my boy, I can hear him waking up from his nap. Love my boy!
Love hearing about Isaac! He is such a joy!
ReplyDelete