We've been teaching Isaac sign language. And by we, I mean the DVDs I picked up from our trusty local library have been teaching him sign language.
This is actually the sign for 'eat' but that's just a coincidence, as I caught a pic. of Isaac "helping" me in the kitchen.
The cheerful songs are geared towards babies, and it makes it so easy to learn. I get the catchy (but quickly irritating) songs stuck in my head, but you know what? It works. I can sign a whole bunch of words now, which is cool.
Back to Isac though. He's doing pretty well with signing. I wish I had photos of this newish skill, but if I waited to get photos (and waited even more to get good photos) I would never blog about anything!
Anyway, before we got the DVDs, we'd talked about teaching Isaac a couple signs so he could communicate with us better. While at my mom's house one day dropping him off, I googled the sign for 'more'. After just a few demonstrations, Isaac had that sign down pat, and he's been doing it properly and with gusto ever since.
That followed with 'all done' and then more recently 'please'. He's so funny now when he wants something to eat that's yummy, he will very enthusiastically sign 'more' and 'please', (which he does with both hands across his chest instead of the proper one. It's so dang cute).
With the DVDs, he has learned 'eat', and does his own version of 'drink' that looks more like he's picking his nose. But they're distinct signs nonetheless. What he hasn't done yet is asked for something with the signs. He tends to just repeat the signs to us when we say something like, "Isaac, do you want a snack?" Then he'll use the sign for 'eat' back to us. That boy knows his mealtimes too; the words dinner, lunch, breakfast, snack, food and eat all trigger the 'eat' sign with him. What can I say, he's a kid after my own heart : )
It's so nice being able to communicate with Isaac more through sign language. While we know this isn't a replacement for speech, it's a good way for now to allow Isaac to let us know what he wants. Hopefully soon, he'll follow with some more words but for now I'm just happy he can tell me he'd like to 'eat' 'more' 'please'!
Notice how all the signs he's picked up are relevant to eating?




No comments:
Post a Comment