Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Three Months

My precious daughter,

You are already three months old (plus a few days) already. Time is flying!
Just this week you started holding a rattle when we open your hand. You wave it around until you bop yourself in the head with it. Oops!


Promise, you have the sweetest temperament of any baby I've ever known. While you will fuss when going to sleep, when I go in to give you back your soother or to comfort you, you almost always gives me the biggest smiles. I really feel like you're just glad I listened and came in, it's so rewarding!

Your favourite activities are watching Isaac do anything and everything, laying on the change table getting really good eye contact with me or your amazing daddy, and lying on your play mat. Just yesterday I was watching you on the mat and it looked like you were intentionally batting at a little purple toy above your head. You have waved your arms around before and hit objects above you but this looked even more deliberate than previous attempts. It's pretty cool to watch.

At the ripe old age of three months, you also like sitting in the swing. When we first started putting you in there, you would stare up at the animals going round and round like you didn't trust them. You would barely blink and would just stare them down. It was really funny to watch. Now you just watch them like you're interested in what they're doing. Thankfully, you can easily swing if I'm busy with Isaac at breakfast or getting him and me dressed to get out the door.

Promise, I love you, but I have to be honest with you. You are a terrible sleeper during the day. You're not consistent, you have short naps and even though you're happy, I know you're not getting the kind of rest a baby your age should have. However, I blame myself as we're always out and about. If we actually stay home for a few days, you usually get right back on track with decent naps throughout the day. But we are rarely at home for full days so your sleep is always being interrupted. You do have good days at home too but more often than not, you'll just sleep one cycle and then be awake. It's hard to be too upset though as even when you should be so tired you're intolerable, you are usually instead pleasant, happy and content. What an angel baby!

And Mommy is very grateful that you do so well at nighttime. You usually wake once or twice through the night and will go back to sleep without any coaxing. Our mornings are always wonky as Isaac wakes up anywhere from 5 to 6:30 so depending on what time you wake up to nurse, you can either go back to sleep or start your day with her brother then takes another cat nap while he and I have breakfast (that's the norm).

You get distracted easily while nursing and often will think you're done nursing if I have to pull you off to deal with Isaac. And baby, you're still not gaining weight. Hopefully we'll figure out what's going on with you soon as you're dropping into the danger zone now.

Only three months until you start eating solids, I can hardly wait as that should give you a chance to bulk up just like Isaac did. In the meantime, we keep praying that your weight will pick up, keep nursing for countless hours every day and will be seeing a pediatrician this week to start looking at what else we can do.

Promise, we love you so much and are so thankful that you're our daughter. I am truly enjoying every day with you, I cherish your cuddles and your obvious love for us. I love your tiny hands, your beautiful face, the way you find your fingers or thumb and get them into your mouth. I love the way you smell and the way you nuzzle into my neck. I love the way you wrap your arms around my shoulder when I hold you up. I love the way you pop your head up in the wrap to see what's going on, and the way you nestle in and fall asleep on my chest in the wrap. I love the way you look inquisitively around you, taking in your world, and your calm and contented outlook on life.


You are so loved, my dear daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment