Friday, February 15, 2013

Life and a hike

Where can I write things down? I'd love to keep track of more little and big things in my kid's lives, but just figuring out a medium to do that is tricky. For now I have the blog at least.

I love the way Isaac says "towie" for tower and "tow tow" for tow truck. It's cute.

Promise is getting really good at holding one thing in her hand, and she's managed to navigate Sophie the Giraffe into her mouth a few times though it's more by fluke than deliberate navigation. Today at my parent's house she was holding Sophie and Mom gave her a rattle too and she held onto both for about 15 seconds before letting go of the rattle.

We went on a little hike this morning up Teapot. The sun was shining and I'm up two pounds, so there were some good incentives to get out. We want Isaac to get used to being out in nature as opposed to just manicured lawns and set up structures of playgrounds and parks. He was definitely not overly thrilled with the hike, but he did well for his first real hike. He plowed forward and upwards for a little while but then wanted to go home or to be "up" in my arms. From start to end was about 45 minutes, we went a total of one kilometre.



We figure if we keep taking him out on adventures on a regular basis, he'll get used to it and soon be a good little outdoors guy. I definitely don't want to raise kids who are afraid of getting dirty, playing with rocks and sticks, exploring trees and underbrush and being adventurous.

After our hike we went down to the boat launch and had snacks on the dock. Steam rose off the adjacent dock as the sun's rays beat down. The lake was calm and quiet, such a contrast to the craziness of summer time. The peace of that moment filled my heart with joy and restored me. I need to get out into nature more, it does me good. And it felt so good to spend time with my family away from our home where there's always work and discipline.



Of course you can't go to the lake without taking time to throw rocks in the water. Isaac is watching where his rock landed.



We stopped by Grandma and Grandpa's house and ended up staying for lunch. Smile fest on the couch here with Grandma and Grandpa's favourite grandaughter : )


2 comments:

  1. It was so beautiful yesterday! I'm glad you were able to have a fun family day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These beautiful days keep me hoping for Spring!! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete