I never used to be a fan of Cultus Lake. It's busy as heck, colder than a lot of the more lovely lakes of B.C. and always seemed like a tourist trap. But I've grown to like it for a few reasons. Primarily, it's close to our home. From my door to the beach is 30 minutes. The beach we go to, I think it's called Spring Bay, has limited parking spots so it doesn't tend to get too busy. It's in the provincial park so it's free parking. There's a rocky beach, a big grassy area and picnic tables - everything you need for fun in the sun.
Since we've been home from Purden, I've been missing the shores of Purden Lake and the relaxing atmosphere of living the cabin life. Tuesday morning I had planned to meet some friends at Funland. But the kids hadn't quite worked themselves back into a "normal" routine since getting home Saturday night and Promise had a really rough morning. It's the only time in forever that I gave up on trying to get her to sleep. She was not sleeping and not happy about being in her crib. By the time I nursed her, calmed her down a bit and got her back to bed, it was way past the time I could meet up with my friends.
I'd already told Isaac we were going there (he loves that place) and I had the car packed. Getting everything ready is the hard part of outings so I wasn't about to waste that energy for nothing! I decided to take the kids to Cultus instead. I felt very brave going by myself. What if I had to go to the bathroom? What if Isaac went too deep in the water while I was busy with Promise? What if I forgot something in the car? Would I drag them both back to the car or just cross my fingers they'd be safe?
Anyway, it was all for naught. Isaac had fun playing in the little river running into the lake. After awhile he ventured into the water up to his waist, rightfully proud of himself. Promise enjoyed grabbing endlessly at everything around her. So I spent my time alternately watching Isaac and scooping rocks out of Promise's mouth.
Promise thought Isaac's lifejacket was a great toy. Isaac thought blocking Promise's view of the water was great fun. Win win, right?
I even managed to take a swim. I waited until Isaac was immersed in an activity. He was sitting on the edge of the culvert, putting his feet into the icy cold water. I strapped Promise into the stroller and gave her an entire orange to work on. I only swam out a little way and back in a couple times so I was never far, but it felt so good. I love swimming!
We were only gone about three hours from the house but it felt like a fun mini getaway. I am so thankful I get to be home with my kids for now and that I'm able to take advantage of the time we have to do fun stuff like this.
Isaac kept running up to the trees and asking me to take his picture. I love this kid!
She was such a handful, I dumped our toy basket and dropped her in it. She stayed for about 10 blissful minutes before she realized she'd been duped.
selfie






No comments:
Post a Comment