Monday, February 12, 2007

Canoe, canoe, where are you?

So most of you reading this blog have already heard the story of how we got our canoe. A guy who gets all the old stuff from Chateau Lake Louise had some well-used canoes for sale last August. He was selling them for $100, a pretty good deal. Of course, I always think there's a better deal and after offering him $35, we got it for $50.
So here it is when we bought it. Isn't it lovely?



We had to do a few minor repairs to make our canoe a truely water-worthy creature, so we learned how to do fibreglass repairs and set about fixing it on a few messy weekends. We drove to Cranbrook and borrowed my dad's angle grinder for the job.





It certainly isn't the most beautiful canoe in the world yet, but it floats and we've been able to take it on a few adventures before the ice and snow and cold came to town.

We went to Emerald Lake, which was beautiful.






We also went down the Columbia River. That is when a very necessary part of my old digital camera dropped in the water partway through our trip, ending my documentation of this trip of only a few photos.




Anyway, Super Sleuth, where are you going with this story?

OK. So Rhonda mentioned a couple weeks ago with all the lovely weather they were getting down on the coast, they might take their canoe Clippy out for a ride. Hmmm, I thought, wonder what happened to my canoe?
Well, I didn't wonder where. I knew where we had put it.
Here.
Beside the wood shed.
Where it would be covered...
That was in October.






November rolls along, it's still there. No worries!



So the snow started coming. I'm busy at work, hubby is busy with firewood, woodstoves, shovelling, other such things and freelancing.
The canoe is put far from memory, and eventually, far from sight.
See it?



Me neither...

I finally decided we needed to find our canoe, unbury it and move it to underneath a tree in the backyard that would provide more cover. I spent about an hour one day digging it out and got about a quarter of it uncovered.
Justin and I spent another half hour or so last week to finally got it out.






Anyway, it's safely in the backyard now, after much perspiration, snow shoveling and ice breaking (to open the gate further). So that was my little canoe story.
We had named our canoe Kootenay Cruiser but it doesn't seem to be sticking. I'm thinking maybe Barry now, since he was buried in a LOT of snow - ha ha!
Any name suggestions out there Justin and I can agree on?

2 comments:

  1. So THAT's what your place looks like without snow (photo # 1)! My fave, though, is Justin canoeing in the snow! HAHA!

    That's hillarious you offered $35! JLO and CONAN always searching for a deal!

    I like the name Barry. It has a great story you can tell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I can't think of a name better than Barry either. It's perfect. You have a sweet canoe. That picture of you guys out on Emerald Lake made me pine to get out there again!

    ReplyDelete