Justin and I went for coffee last night with a couple that has travelled all over the place. They packed up their lives and lived in Kenya for a year. Pretty cool. Then they travelled around Africa and Egypt and what-not, it was all very inspiring to hear about their adventure and see that, yes, they did survive just fine and brought home a pocket full of memories to boot.
We got some smart tips from them to steal for our trip. But one that stuck out was, "Lorene, WEAR A SKIRT!"
This is a curious piece of advice. Here we are, going to places with, you know, lots of dirt and garbage and the hot hot sun and perhaps wind and, oh, I don't know, I never quite feel comfortable in a skirt for about 35-40 reasons and do not wear skirts.
But, according to said couple, even if my legs are not all that and a bag of potato chips here, men who do not see legs elsewhere are going to think I am quite the item.
Hmmm. How 'bout that? Kind of makes you wonder. It's like that episode of '30 Rock' where Liz goes to Ohio from New York. In New York, she's considered not too skinny, disheveled, and not the top pick for a Friday night date. She goes to Ohio and suddenly she's being asked if she's a model and every guy is wink winking at her and all that.
But where we're going, this couple says it's less about the wink winking and more about staring. How rude. And I am very much absolutely not at all comfortable with this idea. So, I guess I'll be skirt shopping now.
No comments:
Post a Comment