Sunday, March 1, 2009

Amazing Love

We truly are a blessed people, to be loved so wholly by a God that cares so deeply. He cares about the big and the little in our lives, and for that I am so thankful.

As I'm sure all of you who read my blog know, our baby girl Jinx died very suddenly last Monday evening. It was a sad day for us, one that we will certainly never forget. Our poor boy Noah was searching for his sister all week, and was unusually affectionate with us the remainder of the week. The poor guy was already so shaken up that I feared the worst when we took him to his temporary home for the next 10 months. It was a blessing that we found someone to take care of him as everyone near and dear to us was either unable or unwilling to care for our cats while we do the Pockets of Change project. But still. I was apprehensive.
We took Noah to the man's apartment Saturday morning. His name is Eldon, and he lives alone in a one-bedroom apartment. When you enter his place, it feels enclosed with old furniture against every wall, and dusty tapes stacked up across the shelves. JR FM taped on them, Eldon explains.
But when I really looked around, I noticed a few things. There was a lovely little deck with a large sliding glass door. Noah loves watching the happenings around him, and this deck will be perfect for that activity. The place was fairly clean, and Eldon was clearly happy to take in our baby for us.
Anyway, back to my story of God's care for us. We dropped off Noah yesterday, and the rest of our day went so horribly wrong there was little time for me to worry about whether Noah and Eldon were adjusting to each other at all.
So today we get to church a few minutes late, and the place is PACKED. We're talking no room down either row of pews that we usually sit in. Typically we would walk around the lower level looking. But I glanced up into the balcony and saw a spot so up we went. You have to understand that our church is HUGE. There are at least six separate sections in the balcony and more than that below. So who do I see collecting the offering in the section that never ever in the last two years would we have ever sat in?
Eldon.
Yup God is pretty cool. It was so encouraging to just see him there, and know that he not only comes to church on a regular basis but is obviously connected enough too as he takes offering. We had to leave before church was done to get to a support team building meeting on time. But Ryan and Jenn were sitting behind us, and Eldon must have noticed us talking to them. So he came up after the service and told them that Noah actually let Eldon pet him!! Praise God, my baby was there not even one full day and already was allowing a complete stranger to love on him like he loves to be loved. I am so thankful for that. And you know what? It all happened because I serve a God that loves me and loves these details that seem so insignificant to others but are so important to me. Can I hear a hallelujah and amen sister?!!

1 comment:

  1. Hallelujah! Amen!
    That's so awesome that Noah has found a good caregiver. I don't think I've ever got to pet Noah and I've known him for many years. Must be a good match!

    ReplyDelete