Tuesday, April 5, 2011

First food

Isaac just pounded down his first solid food. A bowl of mushy beige rice cereal. We took him to the pediatrician last week because we were concerned about a possible lazy eye. We're extra cautious about his eyes since Justin has a lazy eye and we don't want to miss any early signs for our baby. Dr. Ebesh had seen Isaac once before for his weight and at the time he was on track to gaining what he was supposed to be gaining. This appointment Isaac was weighed and it turns out that since his appointment at the beginning of February he as gained only 11 grams a day (minimum is supposed to be 15 or 20). Needless to say we were disappointed.

I didn't think Isaac would get much in his mouth but he actually did quite well. Justin and I took turns spoon feeding him and he didn't thrust it all out his mouth like we expected. He almost looked like he was trying to lick the spoon which makes sense when you think about how he nurses.

He didn't seem surprised to have something different in his mouth either. The funniest thing that kept happening was he would force his fist or at least his thumb past the spoon, like it was a competition and he wasn't about to lose. Isaac LOVES to have his fist or fingers in his mouth so anything else that tries to make its way in there has to get past him first!

I have so many mixed emotions about this big milestone. It saddens me that I can't provide everything my baby needs anymore. Each milestone is a step away from total dependency. I know that should make me happy, and it does. But it also makes me sad because it means my baby needs me less and less for his physical needs. Before I know it, he'll be eating all solids and not breastfeeding, then no diapers or help speaking and all of a sudden I'm going to have a high school graduate on my hands who doesn't need me at all. OK, I know that's still a long ways away but still...

So, we've achieved a big step today. Now the only question is, who gets to change Isaac's first 'real' poopy diaper?

I'm gonna pull the "I feed him all the time" card and let Justin change this one!

1 comment:

  1. You babies will ALWAYS need you, even if it isn't always for tangible needs. You are such a loving and patient Mom & Isaac is so blessed to have you!

    AND... I actually find that the diapers get a little better as they 'firm up' ;)

    ReplyDelete