Thursday, March 15, 2007

Learning, growing, listening

I just wanted to share something I've learned recently. I've been reading through the Old Testament since early January, just taking my time and trying to figure out why God knows I need to know this stuff, 'cause otherwise it wouldn't be in the Bible, right?
One thing I've learned is that it is so important to follow through on commitment. You can't just say you're committed, or even act committed for awhile and then just quit. Being a Christian doesn't work like that. I was amazed while reading through Leviticus all the rules the priests had to remember. When Aaaron's sons got lazy and did not do their job right, they were punished with their lives. And while I haven't gotten there yet, I know Moses ends up not being able to go into the Promised Land because he did not follow through on his committment to God from start to finish. It's crazy to think that his faith did not count when he needed it the most. He was so connected to God in later Exodus and all through Leviticus. I mean, God met with him like a friend in the tent in the desert!
So I want to not just be committed to my faith at this point in time. I want to be committed that I will stay committed in the future too, no matter what.

The other thing I've learned is how connected the Psalms David wrote were to the Bible he would have read. When he talks about meeting God in the temple, I really grasped how significant that was to him, because the temple was a really really holy place that only the priest could go into. David was a revolutionary thinker and believer and I think that's pretty cool that what he wrote then is just as moving and lasting today as it was when he penned his praises and laments.

5 comments:

  1. So true. One of the things that amazes me about David is that he never loses hope in the Lord. He's always praising, always trusting.

    I was recently amazed even more when a few weeks ago we read Psalm 22 at work, and my boss pointed out that although we would be quick to assume that David's crying out to God for help because he doesn't want to bear the suffering, he actually seems to be crying out for help because he can't bear to hear his enemies mocking God. He humbles himself to God's glory. I want to be like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading through the Bible too. Well, not reading, but LISTENING. Remember that Bible on CD we have? I load it onto my iPod and listen going to and from work.

    I have learned soooo much so far! And I'm glad I'm actually taking the time to get more into God's word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ryan- I re-read Psalm 22 and I see what you mean. Thanks for the insight.
    Nancy- That is so awesome that you are doing that. I remember when you were made a commitment to stop reading the 'smut' paper. What a change of morning train activity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for you guys, reading your bibles more....Steve and I have recently pulled out our VHS DAVID movie, and have watched some. I think that David's life is totally inspiring. I'd like to get into the Old Testament again. I really enjoyed that year when our church did a series on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant to say thanks for the insight to you as well, but I looked back at my comment and realized that I forgot. Your observation on David's perspective of what it meant to meet God in the temple was something I hadn't thought of before.

    It's amazing how deep the bible is when you really dive into it. I don't think it's possible to touch the bottom.

    ReplyDelete