This isn't a TP shot, but you can get a good idea of the destruction this little guy can wreak in a moment. The laundry is an all-time favourite.Is that too much information, knowing my boy hangs out in the bathroom with me while I, um, use it? It's either that or put him in his crib where he will scream his head off because Mommy you haven't done bedtime routine so it's not bedtime so what is going on I'm not impressed!!! Ahem. You get the idea.
• Sleeping in. Isaac woke up at 6:50 a.m. the other morning and I thought I just might have died and gone to Heaven. It was GLORIOUS!
• Eating garbage for meals and not caring (i.e. KD, ichiban - not actual garbage, obviously). Now I actually have to think about what we're going to eat so my boy has a fighting chance at a healthy body. (Given my propensity for chocolate and Justin's for salty foods though, he might be doomed).

• Going anywhere. Seriously, do you remember how easy it used to be to just grab your keys and wallet and get into the car? Phsaw to anyone without kids who is late for church. You have no excuses. Of course, that being said, we're sometimes late and friends of our with four kids never are, so they probably look at us with the same questioning wonder.
• Closet space. Now we have one bajillion items of clothing that don't fit Isaac anymore, but I must store in case we happen upon another baby to join our little fam. And somewhere I must find space for the baby swing, exercauser, play mat, baby toys, bumbo, infant car seat . . . You get the idea.
• The ability to get work done in my own home. Before, I could flip open my laptop, do some writing, enjoy a hot coffee and feel in no particular hurry to do anything else. Now, I either sandwich work between cleaning the kitchen from one meal and getting ready for the next while Isaac naps, or after he's gone to bed at night and all I want to do is curl up in my bed and not lift a finger. I have even resorted to working in a library kiosk to avoid the inevitable distractions at home.
• That love was only so deep. (Yeah I know, went from funny to serious. Totally losing momentum in the funny dept. but this point is true too!) I never knew love could encompass so much of me, that I would love this deeply. I took for granted that I had some idea of God's love for me. Now that I have seen how much deeper love can go – both with my husband and my son as we've journeyed this life as a family – it makes me realize that I still have no real idea of God's love for me. If my love could go that much deeper, how much deeper still is the Father's love for me?! Awesome.
• That my life was complete. I look at Isaac now, and I wonder how my life ever was anything before him. There is so much joy, happiness, contentment and wonder when I reflect on being a mommy. I can't imagine life without him and my former life seems like so much waste. Now, in playing, in cleaning, in lack of sleep and even in shared bathroom time, I am fulfilled, happy and full of the knowledge that I can't take any of these moments for granted.
Love you little man, even if you do wake up at 5:30 a.m. every day!
Well... the toilet paper thing may actually be what depresses me most about being a parent... somehow the paper not being hung to the wall disgusts me AND makes me feel like a failure at keeping a clean house. (If that isn't dramatic - what is?!) I have to admit I was completely suprised to find out that you have to hide that stuff too as Zach never had a problem with it!!! Masen on the other hand stalks the bathroom looking for an opportunity to get in there!
ReplyDeleteAlso - for baby clothing storage, have you thought about those vacuum space bags? I use them for our little, little clothes and the recieving blankets and whatever that I don't need out all the time but don't want to part with.
P.S. I actually DON'T remember how easy it used to be to leave the house... maybe that's a good thing!
P.P.S. Can't wait until you're back!
I should clarify that I am NOT depressed about being a parent! I love my boys! I think I just meant that it has been a not-so-pleasant surprise.
ReplyDeleteHa ha, too funny about the toilet paper! For me it's less depressing than just annoying. I mean, there's a perfectly good toilet paper holder on the wall sitting empty and useless. Isaac is obsessed with the bathroom, it's like this magical place where everything is forbidden to touch. (Eww, he can even reach the toilet handle now. Ugh.)
ReplyDeleteAlso, good idea about the vacuum bags. That would definitely help, though I'm thinking of revamping our attic space back in the 'Wack to try and make it a little more usable.
ReplyDelete