Enjoying playing Susie Homemaker around here lately, inspired by my mom growing up who always had it together when it came to the holidays. Fresh hot cross buns, elaborate Easter dinners, Easter egg hunts for years past us believing in the Easter bunny (OK, up to us having kids my mom still did them for us), teaching us the meaning for the season, new dresses and crisp shirts for celebrating His resurrection on Sunday. Mom had it.
Me? I love the ideal, but the reality is trying to get the buns to rise at 3:30 in the morning. They're looking dry and have been "rising" for four and a half hours. I might have to admit defeat and run to Pricesmart in the am for some fresh-baked tradition bought from a store. But that's OK, I'm trying.
As for the Easter egg hunt? Thought the little dinky cars would fit in my plastic eggs. They won't. My mom, the aforementioned organizational queen, actually offered me larger eggs but I totally thought the ones I had would fit the toys I bought for our little man. Oh well. I'll tie a bow on them and he'll be happy with the gift, not the way it was presented. And for the baskets, let's just say Promise gets slightly ripped off this year. I think that's OK though, she's a baby.
But at the end of the day (or the middle of the night as I wait for water to boil to stick in the oven under the buns to aid their yeastly journey), I still feel like we're doing Easter right. Why? Because we're teaching Isaac about Jesus' birth, death and His rising again. We started doing resurrection eggs this year and I think as our children age this will become a good tradition. We make church a priority, no matter the sleeplessness of the night of the sunniness of the day. We're celebrating with very good friends this weekend the triumph of our Saviour by eating together : )
And I'm baking a cake that will put Susie Homemaker to shame. Watch out Susie, Betty Crocker and I are coming for you.
No comments:
Post a Comment