Thursday, May 13, 2010

First midwife appointment

On Wednesday we had our very first visit with my midwife clinic. It was great! Justin came with me and it was nice to have him sitting with me listening to all of the baby-related details we started going through. Love that he wants to be as involved as possible with the pregnancy! There are a couple midwives and through the course of my pregnancy I'll get to know them all. Then whoever is on call the day Pea Pod is born will be doing the delivery.

The midwife we met with yesterday was so friendly, gave lots of time and opportunity to ask questions, and got lots of information from me to help ensure our baby is growing healthy.

And then...

We got to hear our baby's heartbeat!!!!!!!!

It was so great. She put some goop on my stomach, searched around and found my heartbeat. Then she kept moving the little wand around and all of a sudden there was a quick 'thump-thumpa-thump-thumap-thump' sound. It was beating SO fast!

Sigh. I'm in love all over again! It was the first real time we've heard from Pea Pod. His or her little heart was a pounding before I can even feel kicks or see much growth on my belly. Oh my, words just cannot describe that feeling.

When my midwife found the heartbeat, I laughed so hard with excitement that she lost the sound. Then it turns out baby moved when I laughed, so she had to go searching again to find the heartbeat! When she found it again I tried to just keep my laugh inside so my belly didn't shake!

All in all, a very exciting day and a big milestone for us newbies to the baby-growing department!

No comments:

Post a Comment