Monday, May 10, 2010

Maternity leave and trusting God

The logical details of having a baby are starting to get to me. If I want to get maternity benefits, I need to log in 600 hours of gainful employment between now and my due date. Yikes, that is a lot of hours when I have less than a year to obtain them!



It works out to four months full-time, which means at the latest I need to be working full-time by August 1. And as a buffer if baby comes early, or if I have sick days, I need to start sooner. Seeing as how it's already mid-May, this deadline is looming faster than a one-person newsroom paper on production day!

But I am trying to stop myself from panicking. First of all, Justin admonishes me when I get stressed because it's not good for our growing baby. Second, I have to remind myself that we trust in God and He will provide.

If I don't end up having enough hours to get maternity leave, God will provide for us in other ways so we can raise a healthy baby. Like the widow we heard about on Sunday who fed Elijah during the famine, God has the power to continually refill our flour and oil jars so we have enough bread for today.



That's enough reason to put down logic and just praise my Maker and the Maker of my baby!

It's so cool to think that God is knitting together a child inside of me right now. That as I eat and sleep and go about my day, He is busy creating a perfect little human being that will be part me, part Justin and part all-their-own-individual. I'm already so excited to meet this little person who will be a big part of my life for the rest of my days!

No comments:

Post a Comment