Sometimes witty, always original. But it's my little home on the blogosphere, and I like it.
Sunday, October 14, 2012
Isaac's birth story part 3
Justin got to go cut the cord, and then they wrapped him in a green towel and brought him to me and Justin. I got to see my boy: he was perfect, his little chubby cheeks sticking out, a red shiny spot on his nose, my son in my arms. I was worried I would drop him, I only had a little arm space to hold him. Justin promised me that he had him in his arms too.
They took Isaac away quickly and Justin went with him. While I was elated over the birth of my son, I was still worried because I didn't know how much blood I'd lost and I'd had to sign a form about possibly getting a blood transfusion. I asked Cheryl if everything was OK. She said everything was fine, I didn't need a transfusion and they would be cleaning me up.
That part went quickly, and I was soon in the recovery room. I didn't realize there was a chance Isaac and Justin might not be with me and the 15 minutes I had to wait before seeing my family was upsetting to me. I wanted to hold my baby boy, to cuddle him and tell him I was his momma. And I was stuck lying on a bed, zero mobility in my entire lower body, just waiting.
Then Justin and Isaac came in, and my world felt complete. I got to hold my boy and not let him go.
We were in the recovery room for a couple hours for sure. We phoned my parents and Justin's parents to tell them the news, and just enjoyed the quiet time with our new son. I got lots of great skin to skin time with him then.
We ended up back in our room around 2:30 a.m. They kept testing my legs all night to see how far up I had regained feeling; it took a long time before I could feel very much.
In the recovery room, Cheryl had tried to help me with breastfeeding. But being stuck on my back, and Isaac being so sleepy, it was impossible. I know she tried just to make me feel better but, really, there was no chance it was going to work at that point.
When they moved me back to my room, every time a nurse came in (about once an hour) I begged her to help me try to nurse my son. He hadn't eaten anything yet and I was worried and wanted to give him a good start. Unfortunately, they either couldn't or wouldn't help.
Finally after eight hours, a nurse helped me. We had a bit of success, though I don't remember it going super well, and that was the start of me taking care of my son.
All day on Tuesday the 16th and the 17th, I tried nursing, was stuck in bed, Justin changed diapers and we watched as a nurse gave Isaac his first bath. We also had our friends the Roths come by, my parents of course were there in the morning and our friend Hunter came to meet our son.
On Thursday the 18th, they asked me if I was ready to go home. I said no, and Dr. Shone came in to find out what they could do to make me ready. So we discussed pain medication and whether I could have a wheelchair to get all the way outside the hospital. Dr. Shone said yes but when it came time to leave the nurse said I shouldn't use a wheelchair because I wouldn't have one at home.
After basically a full day of getting ready to leave (Justin and Dad went to ICBC to check with someone on the carseat being installed correctly, Mom stayed with me to help me have a shower), we were ready to go in the early afternoon. It was a long walk to the reception area of maternity, where I took a break and Justin went to get me juice because I felt somewhat dizzy.
We made it downstairs and I was shuffling so slowly, a man who looked to be in his 80's shuffled past me. Justin laughed and I did a bit but it hurt so I stopped laughing. But it was darn funny.
A volunteer noticed my pain and offered to get me a wheelchair. It was literally one of the kindest things anyone has ever done for me. She wheeled me to the door and waited with me while Justin got the car. Finally, we were on our way home to be a family.
And that is my firstborn's long birth story. Good to finally have it down on paper. It's not the birth story I would've chosen, but it's the one I was given. And because of this story, I now have an almost two-year old who fills my heart with joy, who pushes me and tries me and makes me a stronger woman and a better momma each and every day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment